Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Gary V in Salt Lake, UT

Gary V in Salt Lake, 2017
The last time I saw Gary (other than TV and the Internet of course) was during his Gary V by Request Concert in Iloilo City, Philippines back in 1997. I was doing an internship at Sun Cable TV as a dakilang p.a. then and I was so honored to help facilitate Gary’s press conference. What stood out to me, and it still lingers in my memory, was Gary’s warmth to the people around him. I was just there in the background, perhaps looking awkward, Gary approached us (the Gary V yan ha) and started a conversation with me and another staff. He shared how they had Sun Cable at home, too and stuff. You know when you are new and young in the media world, you are just like - in the dark. Gary took me out of the dark (pun intended, Gary has a song, "Take Me Out of the Dark, My Lord") from that experience and of course, made my day. Ano ba naman, fan eh. He spoke with spark and sincerity in his eyes and even introduced us to Angeli, his wife. That act of random kindness, as I would consider it, meant a lot to a novice press person. It meant so much to a fan. Wham!

Fast forward, 2017, in Salt Lake City! Gary V, up close! With the same energy and spirit. That’s 20 years later! Philippine’s Mr. Pure Energy ignited the audience, bringing back his top hits in the 90s and of course, the sentimental ballads that were an anthem to a lot of Filipino drama addicts in the audience. Gary’s signature locking dance craze is still there, still fluid and vivacious.  Even more special this time, his daughter, Kiana, joined him on the mic. What a gorgeous and talented young princess she has become. It’s great to see their tandem on stage.

The meet and greet was like, hey I got this rehearsed and I have an agenda in mind. So I am so so sorry for holding up the line, guys. So let me share this … I showed Gary my picture of him in 1997 told him my “telenovela” (hahahaha). I had a chika-chika time with Mr. Pure Energy, wished him the best in life and told how he is an inspiration. He is an inspiration, a gift to the world! Tapos, the staff whispered, Oy , ang tagal mo na! Bam. Tapos ang moment.

This blog woke up!




So yan, VIP ako nito, ha. First class, pun intended :-)


pointing as Angeli as he introduced a song Angeli wrote





with the sweet, Angeli ... I quickly spoke with Angeli and I just muttered, "Aren't you so proud of your family?", with a sweet smile, she said yes. Then click, picture-picture.










Grabe, close kami. Mega-chika! We were laughing about what Gary shared before about his daughter Kiana, how she would literally sing her mind, like, "I am going to the kitchen ... I am a princess, I am a princess,la la la" ... now she is singing real songs ... What a beautiful young woman you have become, Kiana!








This was in the 1997, that internship, fun memory with Gary ... I got him to sign it ... and additional for my sister ...

No comments: