Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

... Because Life is Good

Over the past few months, I had been deliberating whether to keep my current home-based job or take a leap of faith in pursuing a career in Graphic Arts and Photography full-time. My mind was debating back and forth with the pros and cons until I recently saw a thread on facebook that read, “Rally for Mike”. I froze in empathy when I recognized the family. Mike is married to a friend who is also from my province in the Philippines. Reading Siegred’s story of her husband’s battle against cancer, I choked in tears, just feeling their pain, their worries and their hopes for their young family. I am sharing their story:

 Unexpected Turn

by Siegred Emery

                                

              I should start my account three years ago when the crux of our struggle began. Mike always had an interest in the medical field. He pursued a career as a nurse where he was lucky to land a job at a shock trauma ICU as a new grad. Because of his chosen field I think that he was more aware of his health and found a mole that had grown behind his left ear. It brought up a concern and so we had it checked. When the results came, they advised us that it was a malignant skin melanoma. The doctors then performed a relatively easy procedure of removing the cancer and took some precautions of taking wider margin both on the skin and the lymphanoids. All of the tests came back with positive news. He was given a 95% chance of the disease not coming back. We were ecstatic! Life is not perfect but it was great. We had our 3rd child, sold our house and prepared to move to California where Mike was accepted at USC to start Nurse Anesthesia School. The last two years were hard both on our relationship and our family because we saw so little of him. Those sacrifices we thought were relatively small compared to the bigger picture, we wanted a better future both for us and our kids. … We rejoiced when he graduated. Mounting student loans and credit card debts will be paid. We had a job lined up that would help us do all the things we have worked hard for. We were looking forward to next year. Our dreams would finally be realized. After he finished, we moved back with his parents so he could work on his boards while I worked. Our plan was successful! He passed! For the first time in years, life was less stressful. I think I might have forgotten to knock on wood when I thought that because on October 18, our life came crashing down. Mike woke up with a head splitting headache far worst than what he had been experiencing for the past 3 weeks. So without insurance and no money we braved the ER. We needed this headache gone. A few hours and a CT scan later, we heard the news that has totally taken us aback and shattered our world. His cancer had come back and a sizable tumor had grown in his brain. What?!! How could this be possible? We were regular with his skin checkups? What did we miss? There were no signs that it was there growing for the past 3 years. They admitted him and scheduled an emergency surgery the next day. There was a glimmer of hope. His doctors said that the tumor was in a good spot (in between his frontal lobe) and they were confident they had removed it all. With some radiation and constant checkups, he had a good chance of being “around” for years. We’ll take it! We were hopeful. There’s one more thing we needed to get done to make sure he was clear, a full MRI and body scan. But the results from that were even worse than we thought and were prepared to hear. The cancer had spread to his lungs, inoperable and stage 4. Our only hope for now is to prevent the cancer from growing too fast. My Husband!!! The man I’ve never heard complain, that has diligently sacrificed a lot for his family. … After 8 grueling years of school he is now stuck worrying about how he will be able to pay all our debts. Even at this time my husband is the most responsible person I know. … Now my mission is to give him that same peace he gave me at one of the lowest times of my life. My charge is for him to enjoy whatever time he has left and spending that time doing fun activities with us, going to the park, thanksgiving and Christmas together without having to worry where we would get the funds to do it and pay our bills. We have exhausted our means from years of schooling. And as much as every fiber of my being wants him to not worry and live the way he deserves, I am only one person and cannot execute the impossible. So aside from your prayers, that would be to help me help him spend as much time with his kids without a thought of worry of his “assumed” responsibility and Live a life well spent. https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/qqk1/rallyformike

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many Emery stories out there. But from their story, I emerged firm with  answers to my quest for a better life for my family. Their story revalidated my family values, my faith and hope for the uncertain future. We hear cancer all around but when you know the people behind these cancer stories, their account becomes more real. I invite my readers to get to know the Emerys, know their story and help us support their cause. http://www.rallyforemerys.com

Fundraising Event:
5k & Family Carnival
AUGUST 24, 2013, 9AM - 2PM
I will be setting up a photobooth at the carnival. I have props and costumes for the kids. This is a great opportunity to get your fun family portraits this summer! I encourage your generous donations. All proceeds will be donated to the Emerys.

SCHEDULE:
9:00AM - 9:45AM         Registration
10:00AM - 2:00PM         Carnival
10:00AM         5k Race
10:15AM         Kids K Race
11:30AM         Lunch

For Details, go to http://www.rallyforemerys.com.

We can help, we can make a difference because ... LIFE IS GOOD.

No comments: